[wix-users] Choose installation language in bootstrapper

Helge Kruse Helge.Kruse at gmx.net
Sun Sep 25 22:43:09 PDT 2016

Hello list,

I have built a multi-language MSI that provides a localization for
several languages as described in Nick Ramirez' book "WiX 3.6: A
Developer's Guid to Windows Installer XML". I can run this with
different UIs bases on the language of the OS.

Now I want to use a bootstrapper created with bundle to let the user
choose an installation language.

I found here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15105105/can-we-localize-wix-msi-and-bundle-using-language-selection-ui-at-runtime
that it should be possible to add a RadioButton in a theme for the
bootstrapper. So I wrote the Setup.wxs:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
    xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension">
  <Bundle Name="MyName"	Version="1.0.0.0" Manufacturer="Me"
	UpgradeCode="E9DD92BB-69E6-46A7-9E03-0260A0B29F20">
    <BootstrapperApplicationRef
        Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense">
        <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication
        LicenseFile="license.rtf"  />
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>
    <WixVariable Id="WixStdbaThemeXml" Value="CustomTheme.xml" />
    <Chain>
      <MsiPackage SourceFile="my.msi" DisplayInternalUI="yes" />
    </Chain>
  </Bundle>
</Wix>

The CustomTheme.xml is a copy of the RtfTheme.xml in BalExtension. Now I
want to add somehow a radio button group in the Install page. I added in
the Install page:
 <Control >
  <RadioButtonGroup>
    <RadioButton Value="1" Text="One" Height="17" Width="50" X="0" Y="20" />
    <RadioButton Value="2" Text="One" Height="17" Width="50" X="0" Y="30" />
  </RadioButtonGroup>
 </Control>

But this results in Intellisense errors. When I compile and link the
Setup.wxs I get an executable (without any warning or error). But it
terminates immediately and silently when I try to run it.

How can I add a language selection in a custom theme for my
bootstrapper? I would like to avoid a custom C# BA if that's possible.

Regards
Helge