[wix-users] Feature of passing arguments to msi in Bootstrapper

Reddy, Shivshankar Shivshankar.Reddy at fmr.com
Tue Sep 20 23:33:34 PDT 2016

Hi All,

We need some guidance from the WiX Devs/ community people about passing arguments to MSI, MSU and MSP installers in BOOTSTRAPPER.

Right we have option to pass commandline to exe file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">
      <Bundle>
        <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense" />

        <Chain>
            <ExePackage
              SourceFile="path\to\MyPackage.exe"
              DownloadUrl="http://example.com/?mypackage.exe"
              InstallCommand="/q /ACTION=Install"
              RepairCommand="/q ACTION=Repair /hideconsole" />
        </Chain>
      </Bundle>
</Wix>
We don't have option for msi. Sometimes we pass some arguments along with msi like ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress etc...
For above action we don't have option to pass commandline.

Please suggest us if already have, if not is it planned for next releases or do we have work around for this as now ?

Please respond to our query....

Regards,
Shiv