[wix-users] Override related bundle actions

robert_yang at agilent.com robert_yang at agilent.com
Tue Sep 13 07:56:28 PDT 2016

"I have an add-on bundle that is triggering a repair of its dependent bundle
during uninstall.
It sounds like I can override that behavior in my custom BA so that doesn't
happen. (See issue 5222)

Does anyone know how I can override that behavior?"

We had a similar issue with installing a simple patch (.msp).  The standard bootstrapper application in Wix 3.9 and later triggers a repair on the patched bundle when the patch is uninstalled.

For us, the solution is to install patches with either Wix 3.8, or a custom bootstrapper with special handling in OnPlanRelatedBundle: if we detect that the bootstrapper action is uninstall, and the related bundle GUID is the one we want, and the planned state is repair, then we override the planned action to "none".  I asked about this last month, details are in the archives.

I feel like I should make an effort to contribute something like this to Wix 4.0 or Wix 3.11, but am not sure if it would be too much of a hack ... using some predefined engine variable with a special name like "WixBundleIdOverrideRepairOnUninstall" ... probably a documentation nightmare too.  Surely better to let people who do this well have at it.

-Rob