[wix-users] How to do Per user mode installation on specified folders

Patterson, Brent bcpatterson at xactware.com
Mon Sep 12 15:53:19 PDT 2016

MSP does not have PatchCertificates.  So the only thing you need to do with MSPs is to sign them.  Then when a computer runs the MSP, it sees that it is signed, and checks if that certificate has been installed already.  If so, then it's safe to proceed without prompting the user.  If the MSP wasn't signed, then it cannot determine if it's safe to proceed, even if the installed product is signed already, hence the prompting.  The certificate is installed when MSI is installed.

Signing the MSP file should be the same process as signing a MSI file.