[wix-users] Util RestartResource: IE working, Chrome not working

Matsumura Risa (AA-AS/EOS32) Risa.Matsumura at uk.bosch.com
Mon Sep 5 07:13:56 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Our installer displays the File in Use dialog if IE and/or Chrome are opened. For some reason, choosing the option of closing the applications and attempt to restart them fails, and a popup with a message "The setup was unable to automatically close all requested applications...." comes up. At the end, the installation seem to work without browsers not closed, but really we want to make sure that they are closed during the installation process.

I added the following code to solve this problem so that IE and/or Chrome are closed during the installation and restart after the installation. It seems to be working with IE however it's not working with Chrome. Does anyone know why?

<util:RestartResource Id="RestartIE" Path="[IEPATH]" ProcessName="iexplore.exe" />
    <Property Id="IEPATH">
      <DirectorySearch Id="FindIEPath"
                       AssignToProperty="no"
                       Depth="0"
                       Path="[ProgramFilesFolder]\Internet Explorer">
        <FileSearch Id="FindIE"
                    Name="iexplorer.exe" />
      </DirectorySearch>
    </Property>

    <util:RestartResource Id="RestartChrome" Path="[CHROMEPATH]" ProcessName="chrome.exe" />
    <Property Id="CHROMEPATH">
      <DirectorySearch Id="FindChromePath"
                       AssignToProperty="no"
                       Depth="0"
                       Path="[ProgramFilesFolder]\Google\Chrome\Application">
        <FileSearch Id="FindChrome"
                    Name="chrome.exe" />
      </DirectorySearch>
    </Property>