[wix-users] How do I handle SetupFilesCleanup and SetupFiles Extract in Wix

Tobias S tobias.s1979 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 01:32:10 PDT 2016

Think upgrading completely to 4.0 is no good idea as this is under heavy
development and think not thought to use for production code.

To be clear:
ISSetupFilesExtract - This is used by InstallShield for following Use Case:
When a Custom Action needs to run an executable helper file which should
not be installed: Then during Install Runtime ISSetupFilesExtract
temporarily extracts this executable helper file (and if needed additional
files), a CA can run that executable and afterwards before terminating the
installation these temporary helper files get removed by the
ISSetupFilesCleanup AFAIR.

This use case is in my eyes rarely used. A more frequent use case is to
call an executable which is also installed and therefore such a temporary
extraction is not needed