[wix-users] Cleaning up "worst practices" in shared files

Walter Dexter wfdexter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:42:55 PDT 2016

I'm using WiX.

They're using some no-longer-sold-or-supported thing from Wyse (which was
bought by Symantec and then discontinued.) It is (was) so expensive that
they have it installed on a single PC and all these different teams use
remote desktop to get to it.

Even after three days of training on it I didn't know how to use it, so I
said "no way" and started using WiX, with my manager's blessing of course.
I found the initial WiX learning curve steep but then it flattened out
really quickly.

So anyhow, definitely not a wixlib.

Maybe a merge module, but I kind of doubt they'd know what to do with it or
how to create it. I'm picking their MSI apart with Orca to see how some
other stuff works and it seems that Component and Directory are the same
thing to them. Ugh.

I'm leaning to an independent MSI so we can both deploy new files, and if
we can get the deployment team to not ram it in with REINSTALLMODE=amus
(they do that with every single package they send out) then versioning will
keep an old one from overlaying a new one.