[wix-users] Burn - Installing .NET 4.5.1 language packs on multiple operating systems

Carlos Sosa carlos.sosa.us at outlook.com
Fri Oct 21 08:11:04 PDT 2016

Maybe add a launch condition by OS?

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of
James Bateson
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 2:33 AM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Subject: [wix-users] Burn - Installing .NET 4.5.1 language packs on multiple
operating systems

Hi

We have encountered an issue with installation (using burn) of the .NET
4.5.1 language packs on Windows 10 (and 8.1 too?).

On Windows 7, you can install the .NET 4.5.1 French language pack
(https://www.microsoft.com/fr-FR/download/details.aspx?id=40751) and a key
will be added to the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/NET
Framework Setup/NDP/v4/Full/1036). The WixNetfxExtension property
NETFRAMEWORK45FR_FR_LANGPACK looks like it uses this registry key to check
for the French language pack presence.

The problem is that, on Windows 10, the French language pack installation
fails with the following error (translated from French):

The language pack for the .NET Framework 4.5.1 (French) is already installed
on your computer. To activate, install the language pack corresponding to
the installed operating system.

If you add French and install the language pack from Control Panel ->
Language, it will add the entry to the registry. Although (to complicate
things) on my machine, I couldn't install the French language pack from the
control panel (and got the text "A language pack isn't available").

Anyway, all very confusing. My question is, what is the best way to deal
with .NET language packs in burn when targeting multiple OSs?

James Bateson
Software Engineer

TEL: +44 (0)1223 218000 ext 363

WEB: www.grantadesign.com<http://www.grantadesign.com/>

Granta Design Limited, Rustat House, 62 Clifton Road, Cambridge, CB1 7EG, UK