[wix-users] why does 64 bit bundle install key/value pairs under the 32 bit HKLM/Software/Win6432Node registry key?

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:55:59 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Ian Bell <ib at ianbellsoftware.com> wrote:
> What I have found is that running the WIX SETUP program the
> first time installs the application while running the WIX SETUP program a
> second time uninstalls/repairs the application.

This sounds like the second time you're installing you are not
installing something that has a different version from Windows
Installer's perspective. Remember that Windows Installer ignores the
4th version component. If during your upgrade testing you install base
version 1.2.3.4 and then upgrade to version 1.2.3.5, then Windows
Installer treats it as the same version and you get the repair
behavior you're seeing.

See

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370859.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370579.aspx