[wix-users] why does 64 bit bundle install key/value pairs under the 32 bit HKLM/Software/Win6432Node registry key?

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:28:53 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Ian Bell <ib at ianbellsoftware.com> wrote:
> I should also mention that I am attempting to resolve another WIX SETUP
> related problem.   Specifically, when uninstalling my application then 10%
> to 20% of the time the WIX SETUP installer does not completely delete
> installation related registry setting as well as entries in the
> 'c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\[GUID]\' subdirectory.   This too is wreaking
> havoc on my unit, integration and specification tests.   I have spent just
> over a week in trial-and-error tests in trying to identify and resolve these
> problems.

Let me make sure I'm following you correctly here. The auto-update
feature of your application downloads a new setup.exe and uses it to
upgrade to the new version *and* it also uninstalls the old version by
locating the UninstallString in the registry for the old version?

Have you defined Bundle/@UpgradeCode in your setup project?
Bundle/@UpgradeCode should be static just like Product/@UpgradeCode is
static in your MSI project. Both of those should be different.

When you properly define Bundle/@UpgradeCode then burn automatically
detects upgrades and uninstall the old bundle for you.

To get the proper upgrade behavior on the MSI itself you need
Product/@UpgradeCode and use the MajorUpgrade element or author
Upgrade yourself. I'd recommend using the MajorUpgrade element.

Once all of this is properly setup you should be able to download your
setup.exe and run it to upgrade (install the new version _and_
uninstall the old version) automatically without needing to find the
old version or anything like that.

--
Edwin G. Castro