[wix-users] why does 64 bit bundle install key/value pairs under the 32 bit HKLM/Software/Win6432Node registry key?

Ian Bell ib at ianbellsoftware.com
Wed Oct 12 12:02:04 PDT 2016

Burn only writes to the 32 bit registry?   OUCH - the 'code-smell' is
already detectable.   JJJ

The WIX based MSI installer adds configuration information to 32 bit or 64
bit registry keys depending on which soluction platform (i.e. 32 bit or 64
bit) of the WIX base MSI project is built in VS2015.   So far, so good.
Now, you have just confirmed the same is not true for WIX based SETUP (i.e.
bundle) installers - these installers only add configuration information to
32 bit registry keys.  Here is the problem.  My app needs to know where to
find configuration information added to the registry by WIX based MSI and
SETUP installers (e.g. the 'UninstallString'  key/value pair).   If the 64
bit version of my application was installed using the WIX based MSI
installer then my application needs to look for the installer added
information in the 64 bit registry keys (this is the expected location).
On the other hand, if the 64 bit version of my application was installed
using the WIX based SETUP installer then my application needs to look for
the installer added information in the 32 bit registry keys (this is the
unexpected location and where the 'code-smell' begins).   The question is,
how does the 64 bit version of my application know whether it was installed
using the WIX based MSI installer or the WIX based SETUP installer?   There
are several hacks that come to mind such as writing a custom installer that
adds this extra information to the registry (i.e. was the application
installed using an MSI or a SETUP installer) and rewriting the source code
to accommodate this hack, hence the 'code-smell'.   Oh well, I'll just have
to decide which of these hacks is the lesser evil and get on with it.

Anyways, thanks you for responding so quickly.   Now I can start to grapple
with the next WIX based SETUP hiccup. J

Cheers,

Ian

under the 32 bit HKLM/Software/Win6432Node registry key?

Yes. Burn is currently 32-bit.