[wix-users] How to downgrade a file to an older version in a patch?

David Connet dcon at agilityrecordbook.com
Wed Nov 16 15:33:57 PST 2016

Yeah, that's a nasty issue. Even tho the uninstall is done first, MSI has already determined it doesn't need to update that file because of component version rules. So you end up with it missing. Running a repair will put it back.

As Rob says, "Going back in time is very hard."

Another option is breaking your upgrade path - recognize that the old version is there and error out with a message "you must uninstall XXX first." Very user unfriendly, but it works.

Dave