[wix-users] How to downgrade a file to an older version in a patch?

Patterson, Brent bcpatterson at xactware.com
Wed Nov 16 14:29:11 PST 2016

The issue is that the patches are uninstallable, so we can't ask them to do that.

I tried the major update approach (changed Product ID value to a new GUID, and incremented the version for MSI, and tweaking the bootstrapper to allow installation if "Obsolete" install is detected instead of showing uninstall like before).  I created a new installer (not patch) that contains the correct files, but when I install it, the newer version of third party DLL is still there, while everything else is up to date to correct version.  What am I missing?  Why isn't it removing the entire install before reinstalling, which is what major updates are supposed to do?

This is what I have for MajorUpdate element in MSI:

<MajorUpgrade DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of [ProductName] is already installed." Schedule="afterInstallExecute" AllowDowngrades="no" />

I thought "AllowDowngrades" prevents an older MSI from removing a newer MSI's install.  Is this interfering with components as well?