[wix-users] How to get system ip address in wix

Andreas Hirth a_hirth at foxitsoftware.com
Wed Nov 2 09:22:36 PDT 2016

Hi,

there is no "system's IP address". The system can have (and usually does
have) multiple network interfaces with each having a different IP
address. So there cannot be a variable à la COMPUTERNAME providing *the*
IP address.
The best you could do, I guess, is asking a DNS server for the
address(es) mapped to your host name. This way you get an address that
can be used to reach the system from external.
Whatever way you choose, it will require some custom code, e.g. in a
custom action, unless there is a WiX extension that can do this for you
I am not aware of.

You may want to play around with ipconfig and nslookup to get a feeling
for the matter.

- Andreas