[wix-users] Installing DirectX without installing the install EXE

Lewie Fitz lewfitz at gmail.com
Sun May 29 18:43:24 PDT 2016

Figured out how to do this.

Removed the DirectX exe file component from the DirectoryRef. Removed
that Feature. That stopped the feature from being registered and the
file from being copied to the install directory.

Added a new Binary entry: <Binary Id="InstallDirectX"
SourceFile="SourceFiles\dxwebsetup.exe"/>. Changed the custom action to
use the binary instead of the file: <CustomAction Id="InstallDirectX"
BinaryKey="InstallDirectX" ExeCommand="/Q" Execute="deferred"
Impersonate="no" Return="ignore"/>.

Done.

On 5/27/2016 3:02 PM, Lewie Fitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed some instructions online to have my installer run the
> DirectX exe during the install. It seems to work fine. However, what
> the installer seems to be doing is putting the DirectX install EXE
> into the installation destination directory before running it. I
> really don't want the DirectX exe there. Is there a way to run an EXE
> included in the msi during an install without actually installing it
> anywhere? If not, should I copy it to the TEMP directory and run it
> from there and then delete it afterward?
>
> Thanks in advance.

---