[wix-users] Question about adding NetFx 4.5.2 to web-based mba - and 3.10.3 test report

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Fri May 27 05:10:35 PDT 2016

In a thread a week or so, Bob provided this helpful comment:
I wrote about it in the doc: http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/redistributables_and_install_checks/install_dotnet.html (step 3)

Since my mba requires NetFx 4.5.2 I followed the steps detailed, except that in step 2, I have been using:
      <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx452Web" />

 Is it intentional that in the example NetFx45Web is specified yet the included payload is NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe ?  (or is there a defect in the doc?)

When I specify NetFx452Web and NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe, the result is that on a Windows 7 SP1 x86 without any additional .Net entries in the ARP and without a network connection, my mba's prereq setup is launched and it tries to install .Net 4.5.2, but after a long delay it fails.  The error message indicates that it cannot find the file NDP452-KB290194-web.exe.

I am currently trying to install WixToolset 3.10.3.2924 which has been sitting on 'Updating Visual Studio 2013' since yesterday, and I tried to cancel and retry it with the same behavior.  So whenever I get my development environment back to functional I will try to recompile the project:
1) using exactly as documented: NetFx45Web
2) or try to include the payload that it cannot find - but then I am not sure if including a web payload makes sense.

Any advice is appreciated!
Phill
PS:  Other than difficulty getting the votive portion of the 3.10.3 setup to complete on my development system which has VS2010/2013/2015 and maybe parts of 2012, we have 2924 installed on our main build server (and we had the prior 3.10.3RC installed).  I have not come across the attached container issue with or without these updates.  I removed my workaround for the -layout issue and have tested those changes successfully.  I have not noticed any other issues in the many bundles we are building and testing.