[wix-users] Automatic Update Craziness

Stephen Downard stephen.downard at medfusion.com
Wed May 25 11:06:58 PDT 2016

Utilizing WixExtendedBootstrapperApplication and BAfunctions.dll I can verify and download an update but the downloaded exe will not execute.

Within OnDetectComplete( ) I call:
hr = m_pEngine->SetUpdate(m_updateExeFilePath.GetString(), NULL, size.QuadPart, BOOTSTRAPPER_UPDATE_HASH_TYPE_NONE, NULL, 0);

Within OnPlan( ) I call:
hr = m_pEngine->SetVariableNumeric(L"WixBundleAction", BOOTSTRAPPER_ACTION_UPDATE_REPLACE); <--I added this to see if it would work...
               hr = m_pEngine->Plan(BOOTSTRAPPER_ACTION_UPDATE_REPLACE);

So, if I add a MessageBox( ) within OnPlanComplete( ) the downloaded update will execute (Crazy). However, if removed, the current active bundle will continue to execute.  I've tried
simply returning IDOK from OnPlanComplete( ) but that didn't help.  Seems like a string pointer problem but I'm not sure, any thoughts?  Thanks!