[wix-users] Install many files in local app data folder

Gary M garym at oedata.com
Wed May 18 19:48:59 PDT 2016

I recently installed a product with 3400-3600 files.  I used heat to
generate the wxs files. Heat will create a component for each file and a
component group for easy referencing.
These are my heat config settings (sorry I use maven)
                  <configuration>
                      <executable>heat</executable>

<workingDirectory>${fom.resource.dir}</workingDirectory>
                      <arguments>
                        <!-- Specify the directory to harvest, -->
                        <argument>dir</argument>
                        <argument>Support_Files</argument>
                        <!-- Generate guids now. All components are given a
guid when heat is run. -->
                        <argument>-gg</argument>
                        <!-- Keep empty directories. -->
                        <argument>-ke</argument>
                         <!-- Suppress generation of fragments for
directories and components. -->
                        <argument>-sfrag</argument>
                       <!-- Substitute File/@Source="SourceDir" with a
preprocessor
                        or a wix variable (e.g. -var var.MySource will
become
                        File/@Source="$(var.MySource)\myfile.txt"  -->
                        <argument>-var</argument>
                        <argument>var.SupportSourceDir</argument>
                        <!-- Directory reference to root directories
(cannot contains spaces). -->
                        <argument>-dr</argument>
                        <argument>IMA.INSTALL.DIR</argument>
                        <!-- Component group name (cannot contain spaces
e.g -cg MyComponentGroup). -->
                        <argument>-cg</argument>
                        <argument>Support</argument>
                        <!-- Specify output file (default: write to current
directory). -->
                        <argument>-out</argument>

<argument>${wix.generated.sources.dest}\support-files.wxs</argument>
                      </arguments>
                  </configuration>