[wix-users] Bundle Update Element

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Tue May 17 09:18:41 PDT 2016

This topic really deserves a blog post, but as of yet there isn't one.

Bundles need the <Update location="URL" /> in order for the engine to trigger a call to DetectUpdate* methods.  WiX BA has a MBA example of doing self-updates, and I have a slightly modified WixStdBA that shows how it's possible to get WixStdBA to do it.  https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/compare/develop...jchoover:develop-3.10-WixStdBA

The brief version is WiX can take and parse an Atom feed (Ex: http://wixtoolset.org/releases/feed/v3.10 ) and then notify the BA of the data to allow the BA to decide if it's an update or not.  My changes to WixStdBA are to respond to those events, though the WixBA also has a managed implementation here: https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/develop/src/Setup/WixBA/UpdateViewModel.cs

You are looking for DetectUpdateBegin / DetectUpdate / DetectUpdateComplete events.

>From an application point of view, as I needed it to check for updates on startup, I passed the bundle upgrade code to my application during installation.  On startup of the application, I use that upgrade code to query for the bundles cached location via a light weight wrapper DLL around https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/develop/src/libs/dutil/butil.cpp and querying for the ModifyPath "well known" bundle property.  From there, I manually stripped off the /modify and added /checkupdate.

Users can also alternatively go into ARP, select modify on the install, and then manually hit the button to check for updates.