[wix-users] Do permissions change during installation?

Jon Earle earlej at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 07:16:07 PDT 2016

Using WiX 3.10.2

I am experiencing a strange problem with Windows 10 only.  The same MSI that installs on server 2012r2, will not install on Windows 10, unless I install it with Administrator privilege.  The failure is due to a custom action creating a folder containing an  empty file in the install path (which is within Program Files).

I find that strange since, the installer is able to create the path and file structure for the application, but fails on this one step.  Make me wonder if the msi is run with one set of privileges and the custom action is run with a reduced set of privileges?

How do I address this?

Cheers!
Jon