[wix-users] "ResolveWixReferences" task could not be loaded (Issue: 5289)

Sameera Perera www.sameera at gmail.com
Mon May 9 08:26:01 PDT 2016

I'm having the same issue as described in
https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5289

I saw that the issue was closed with the comment that the problem was not
setting the WixToolPath; which I assume is a reference to the steps in:
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/msbuild/daily_builds.html

But, IIUC, these steps are for build machines where user doesn't want to
setup Wix Toolset on this machine. However, I'm only trying to build my
project locally where the toolset is already installed.

In fact, I only have this issue with the latest version of Wix 3.10.3.2094.
On another dev machine we have 3.10.2516 (by wix.dll version number) which
builds the same project just fine. In VS, when I double click the build
error, I'm taken to wix2010.targets which has:

<WixInstallPath Condition=" '$(WixInstallPath)' ==
''">$(Registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Installer
XML\3.11 at InstallRoot)</WixInstallPath>
    <WixInstallPath Condition=" '$(WixInstallPath)' ==
''">$(Registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows
Installer XML\3.11 at InstallRoot)</WixInstallPath>

I checked the registry and there is no 3.11 key. There is a 3.10 key which
has the absolute path to wix bin folder. I experimented by fixing the
reference in wix2010.targets; which got me past the missing wixtasks.dll
error. But, now gives the following error:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error The "ResolveWixReferences" task was not found. Check the following:
1.) The name of the task in the project file is the same as the name of the
task class. 2.) The task class is "public" and implements the
Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask interface. 3.) The task is correctly
declared with <UsingTask> in the project file, or in the *.tasks files
located in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin" directory.
.... C:\Program
Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\wix2010.targets 735

Thanks.
Sameera