[wix-users] Visual Studio "15" installer? [P]

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu May 5 12:06:04 PDT 2016

I'm working on a blog entry about this but since blog entries can take a very long time for me to finish (pulled in too many directions) here are some of my thoughts:

1. I worked on VS2012 where Burn was introduced. I personally did a lot of work to improve the installation perf of VS (cutting minutes and minutes off the installation). I came to the conclusion (and here's my punchline): the problems that needed to be solved were not installation problems. The VS app needed fixing.

2. VS has a problem that it "ships Microsoft's kitchen sink". Everything in Microsoft (Windows Client, Phone, Server, Azure, Office, Xbox, SQL Server, etc.) wants to put something in VS. In VS2015 they also chose to ship a bunch of non-Microsoft stuff too.

3. In VS2015 they wanted to try to release all the disparate stuff at independent times. This creates an enormous test matrix. It is even more scary when you consider how tightly coupled everything is in VS (see #1).

4. My recommendation was to solve the app problems and build system problems so that an integrated updated VS could be delivered rapidly as a single Bundle but still enable testing of the cohesive system.

5. Instead, they chose to create a (IMHO) Frankenstein mashup with Burn and WebPI (note: I think very little of WebPI. Everything shipped in WebPI would install much better as a Bundle but that's a story for another day). The result was that a lot of installation decisions were made at install time. Thus the permutations were challenging (some might say impossible) to test. It created a lot of headaches for everyone and I'm personally impressed that they held it together as well as they did. I only hit a couple issues where my build machines went sideways because VC++ no longer matched some piece of VS that didn't match the right Windows SDK.

6. In VS15 it appears they have doubled down on the disparate updates of everything. They abandoned Burn/WebPI and choose to create a custom installation front end to manage everything. Underneath their still going to be managing bundles, MSIs, custom executables and everything else under the sun because VS is the kitchen sink. I'm still not sold this is the way to go, but since they chose to go this way, I agree that Burn is not the solution for the front end. Burn will still be able to do a lot of heavy lifting of the actual installation but the installation front end will pick what to install. I think this front end is Electron but we'll see if they stay with that...

7. It also appears they are tackling the app problems (see #1) while saying they are fixing setup! This last point is the one that irks me most. I'm thrilled they are finally fixing the fact that VS needed 750,000 registry keys to work properly. But blaming setup for the root cause frustrates me. It makes developers think even less of setup than they already do. Creating the VS setup was a very challenging problem because the app was such a mess. Fix the app and setup will become less challenging.

Anyway, I'm working on refining the ending of #7 but I think you'll catch the gist there. ;)

  (except for today)