[wix-users] How to notify user about the upgradation of existing installed version to new version in Wix BA

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Wed May 4 13:37:34 PDT 2016

If the version examples provided are examples of versions of your bundle, there is no problem using all four parts of the version.  Burn detects the older version if the same UpgradeCode was used between the two bundles.  In a Detect handler you can check the DetectBeginEventArgs e.Installed object to determine if the older Bundle is installed.  as far as prompting the user that depends on how you plan to customize your BA, but Burn already provides that core functionality.  You can also look at the DetectReleastedBundle handler.

I may be misunderstanding your question, as originally you seemed to be asking about how an application can detect whether your bundle is installed, and others answered that question.  If the 6.0.0.1 and 6.0.0.10 versions refer to a MSI package version then the forth part of the MSI package version is ignored by MSI.