[wix-users] Build error while building setup project

John Cooper JoCooper at jackhenry.com
Fri Mar 25 06:03:45 PDT 2016

See:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/42x5kfw4.aspx for a start.

Although $(SolutionDir) and $(Configuration) are supported macros, in my experience they are not defined in all scenarios--particularly $(SolutionDir).  I generally create a conditional fallback value for $(SolutionDir) in particular if it is not defined.

In general, I do not use PreBuildEvent or PostBuildEvent.  The ease of putting them in is erased by the difficulty of debugging them when they're flaky.  Use a real MSBuild Target and write a real MSBuild Tool Task for your executable(s) in that bat file.  9009 basically means there was a general failure to execute the command line.  It could be the filename, it could be the path, it could be something inside the BAT file failing--same error regardless.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Enterprise Notification Service