[wix-users] How to Create multiple dirs in a component ?

Winter,Stijn S. de stijn.dewinter at student.fontys.nl
Fri Mar 18 02:05:41 PDT 2016

Hello Gary,

You could run a bat file in a customaction before install which creates the dirs.
But why does the application fail if you do not create the dirs before installing?
Normally if you reference a directory and put something inside it WiX will automatically create the directory.
You can also create empty directories:
<ComponentGroup Id="EmptyDirs">
    <Component Id="EmptyDir1Component" Directory="EmptyDir1" Guid="YOUR-GUID-HERE">
        <CreateFolder />
    </Component>
</ComponentGroup>

If you think that it will be to much work to do this for all 90 directories you can use heat or write a script.
The installation i am making is way too big to write by hand so i have to create a program that will create the installer.

Could you provide more information so we can help?

Best Regards,
Stijn de Winter