[wix-users] WiX 2.0 question (tallow.exe -d)

James Burgess jrb at pixar.com
Thu Mar 10 17:15:27 PST 2016

Hi,
 It has been a very long time since I have posted here (WiX has been doing it’s job admirably) but I’m kind of stumped on this one. Excuse me for referring to a really old version of WiX, it’s just been working for years so I’ve had no reason to touch it.

A couple of newish machines running Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows Installer 5.0.9600.17905) in our office can’t build MSI’s because the output from tallow.exe is different. The difference is that it only writes the Name attribute even if the file doesn’t have an 8.3 name. We have other machines which are basically identical that do not have this issue even when pointed at the exact same directory structure. I’m imagining that something is installed on these machines that is making the difference (C# runtime?) but I don’t know enough about C# to even begin to figure out what that might be. Any ideas?

Regards,
- James