[wix-users] merge module installs twice...

Lewis Henderson henderso at opentext.com
Fri Mar 4 12:25:41 PST 2016

Hi Folks,

I've been working in Wix for a little while, and I've got a problem.  I have two different products, A and B, that both require a common utility, C.  I've coded up C as a merge module and referenced it in both A and B.  The A and B installs do path checking so that the "path" for C is the same.  My problem is that when the second product installs, C is installed a second time, even though the merge module and path is the same.

How can I avoid installing the merge module a second time (overwriting the original install)?  I don't want to second product install to overwrite configuration changes made during the first install, though it might add to them.  Note that the usage instance is apparently tracked properly, because the code isn't removed until both products are removed.

Is there a better way to handle this kind of situation?  I suspect bundling and using a bootstrapper might be one way, but my product install has a somewhat complex UI that can't be easily promoted.  I haven't tried bundling yet, and I'd rather not tackle it at this point.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I can post some simplified example code if needed.

                                                                Lewis Henderson
                                                                OpenText, Inc.