[wix-users] GUIDs

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Wed Mar 2 05:38:21 PST 2016

For 'most' situations I use a construct like this:
<File Id=" somefile.exe " KeyPath="yes" Source="somepath\ somefile.exe"/>

Which is equivalent to using Guid="*", which causes the wix tools to generate a GUID.   The GUID generation is in part based on the source path and the Id so if those do not change then the same GUID is generated for different builds of the package.   There may be limitations to this approach which affect creating a patches but I have avoided those issues by doing MajorUpgrades.