[wix-users] MSI vs. Bootstrapper

Ondrej Krc-Jediny ondro.krc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 03:44:14 PDT 2016

Hello,
I'd like to ask two questions. It is possible that customers for our
product will use both managed bootstrapper installer and .msi.

1:
When I install the product with .msi and Repair it with bootstrapper, it
results in two ARP entries (one for the bootstrapper, one for the 'visible'
.msi).
Is there any way I can hide the .msi ARP entry after such operation?

2:
When I install the product with bootstrapper and do a Major Upgrade with
.msi, it results in two ARP entries.
Is there any way I can unregister the bootsrapper?
The only way I can think of is to call a command that is called when
bootstrapper is major upgraded with another bootstrapper to unregister the
old one:
"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{BUNDLE_PRODUCT_CODE}\Bootstrapper.exe"
-uninstall -quiet -burn.related.upgrade -burn.ancestors={SOME_GUID}
But I don't know to find out the BUNDLE_PRODUCT_CODE and SOME_GUID inside
the .msi.

Thank you for your help