[wix-users] wix msi Repair not installing new version

Jayan, Veena veena.jayan at philips.com
Tue Jun 21 23:28:39 PDT 2016

I use the following condition to support upgrade in my msi
 <Property Id='PREVIOUSVERSIONSINSTALLED' Secure='yes' />
    <Upgrade Id='$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)'>
      <UpgradeVersion Minimum='1.0.0.0'
                      Maximum='99.0.0.0'
                      Property='PREVIOUSVERSIONSINSTALLED'
                      IncludeMinimum='yes'
                      IncludeMaximum='no' />
    </Upgrade>
<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="CloseAppsPrompt" After="CostFinalize"></Custom>
      <RemoveExistingProducts Before="InstallInitialize"/>
      <Custom Action="ConfigClient" After="InstallFiles">NOT REMOVE</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

This msi is chained in a custom bootstrapper bundle.

In my custom UI I enable repair button if the already installed version of
the msi is same as current version. The problem I am facing is repair is
only uninstalling the already installed package. It does not install the
package again. For testing repair I deleted few of the installed files from
the install location of the package and then run in repair mode.

Here is the extract from bootstrapper log.
state: Present, default requested: Absent, ba requested: Absent, execute:
None, rollback: None, cache: No, uncache: No, dependency: Register

Am I missing any properties to support Repair in my msi. I have to support
major and minor upgrade of the msi also. Upgrade is working as expected.
Repair only uninstalls the msi. Does not install it again.