[wix-users] ConfiguresmbUninstall is failing when 'Installing' on French system.

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Jun 21 14:03:57 PDT 2016

I just got this report from QA and have done limited research, so I plan to dig deeper tomorrow.  But maybe someone has advice on how to sort out this issue.

I have a MSI (in my bundle chain) which is batch built for eight locales with a common external cab file.  This package has been working on EN, DE, JP, and KO that I am aware of, but when tested on FR, while doing an Install on a clean system, the MSI fails when calling ConfiguresmbUninstall action.

The log indicates first that "Failed to copy description string to smb object" then it indicates "failed to read FileShare table"

So it is tripping on this code in ScaSmbRead() of scasmbsched.cpp:

        hr = WcaGetRecordFormattedString(hRec, ssqDescription, &pwzData);
        ExitOnFailure1(hr, "Failed to get Share Description for FileShare: '%ls'", pss->wzShareName);
        hr = ::StringCchCopyW(pss->wzDescription, countof(pss->wzDescription), pwzData);
        ExitOnFailure(hr, "Failed to copy description string to smb object");

My wxl is authored as:
      <Component Id="shareMyFolder" Directory="MYFOLDER">
        <RegistryValue Root="HKMU" Key="!(wix.PropertiesRegKey)" Name="shareMyFolder_Ver" Value="[ProductVersion]" Type="string" KeyPath="yes" />
        <util:FileShare Id="shareMyFolder" Name="MyFolder" Description="!(loc.MyFolder_Description)">
          <util:FileSharePermission GenericAll="yes" User="Everyone" />
        </util:FileShare>
      </Component>

When I look at the FR MSI with orca the entries are the same for each MSI, except that the Description is a French string.

"Le dossier du système MyFolder est utilisé par les systèmes Company et les clients."

  Tomorrow I hope to substitute out that string to see if that makes any difference. The WixUtilExtesion is only localized for EN, PT, DE, and JP, but I have strings for the other locales in my MSI.  I guess I am looking for any advice as to why ::StringCchCopyW would fail in this situation.  Is the countof yielding an incorrect result for the accented chars?

Phill