[wix-users] Bootstrapper - Change

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Fri Jun 17 08:49:00 PDT 2016

MSI features must be handled in OnPlanMsiFeature, not via properties. See bug https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5294.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Ondrej Krc-Jediny
Sent: Friday, 17 June, 2016 08:30
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: [wix-users] Bootstrapper - Change

I have a managed bootstrapper application where I try to implement Change/Repair/Remove functionality (my .msi support all of them).
I'm having problem with the feature Change functionality. After user selects/deselect features in my BA, I try to run:

bootstrapApp.Engine.Plan(LaunchAction.Modify);

but the .msi is never run, probably because of 'execute: None' - log:

Planned package: instmsi, state: Present, default requested: Present, ba
requested: Present, execute: None, rollback: None, cache: No, uncache: No,
dependency: Register

As already pointed out in this thread -
http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/How-to-modify-MSI-from-the-custom-bootstrapper-td7585752.html
-

in the PlanPackageBegin event, the RequestState is already Present and execute ActionState is not modifiable.

It does the same when I try

bootstrapApp.Engine.Plan(LaunchAction.Install);

My MsiPackageElement looks like this

<MsiPackage EnableFeatureSelection="yes" SuppressSignatureVerification="no"
SourceFile="installer.msi" Id="instmsi">
  <MsiProperty Name="ADDLOCAL" Value="[FEATURES]"/>
  <MsiProperty Name="REMOVE" Value="[FEATURES_REMOVE]"/>
  <MsiProperty Name="REINSTALL" Value="[FEATURES_REINSTALL]"/> </MsiPackage>

For the Change functionality, I fill the ADDLOCAL and REMOVE variables accordingly.

I don't want to run LaunchAction.Repair, because it re-installs already installed features (which is not how the .msi Change behaves).

Is there any way to ensure that my .msi is run in such case?
Thank You