[wix-users] Ideas on what technology

John Zajac jzajac2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 05:46:36 PDT 2016

Whenever I have questions like this it is often quicker to just start
digging around in %temp% or poke around the system with procmon.exe or
procexp.exe, and start disassembling (reflector.exe, dotpeek, etc) when I
find their stuff (which is usually Managed these days).

I agree with Dave's comment on spawning a separate tool, *outside of the
Windows Installer process*, to do complex configuration tasks. There are
always exceptions to this. For example if you want a 'Cancel' or some other
error event from the configuration tool be able to rollback the entire
product installation. However still the tradeoff for this exception isn't
enough IMO.

-John