[wix-users] Can custom Bootstrapper Application's UI get stored property values from registry using 'remember' pattern?

John Zajac jzajac2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:19:04 PDT 2016

I have a custom WiX BA with a custom UI which collects information from the
installing user and stores/retrieves them in the registry using the
'remember' pattern. With this approach, what is the recommended way for
getting this info back from the registry so that both the BA (for the UI)
and the MSI (for custom actions) can have them for Uninstall, Repair,
Modify, etc?

I am using Variable elements in my bundle, for example:

<Variable Name="MyProperty" bal:Overridable="yes" Persisted="yes"
Type="string" Value="[MYPROPERTY]" />

and then MyProperty elements in my Chain\MsiPackage:
<MsiProperty Name="MYPROPERTY" Value="[MYPROPERTY]"/>

Again, for my MSI, I typically persist user input into RegistryValue
elements and then retrieve their values with RegistrySearch, then feed them
back into the property (the 'remember' pattern).

I based my bootstrapper application off of the WixBA project which calls
Engine.Detect() before showing the UI.

Or, do I need to have the BA code itself just query the registry?