[wix-users] How to detect older version already installed using Wix Burn

shashank khadse shashank.s.khadse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 06:17:37 PDT 2016

Hello,
I am working on installer where I need to add a check ( In Wix Burn ) and
inform the user that older version is already installed.
I already tried one approach of using a registry key to check if the app is
already installed.
So during the 1st installation of older version will add a reg key and
during the newer version installation this key would be detected to
indicate the version is already installed.

In this case the user is notified with the message ( mentioned in
bal:condition which dependes upon the result of util:registrySearch ) that
older version is already installed.

However the issue with this approach is that when I tried to uninstall the
already installed version
the same error message pops even for uninstalling from control panel/Add
Remove Program.

Please let me know if there is any workaround for this in WIX Burn.

Thanks & Regards
Shanky