[wix-users] WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Wed Jun 8 08:42:58 PDT 2016

While working on another issue, I added a log message to ExecutePackageComplete, and I agree with your observation, for each package the WixBundleExecutePackageCacheFolder variable is null.

My earlier comment came from looking at the source. apply.cpp where either the exe or msi engine is called just prior to ExecutePackageComplete, and in each case in the related engine code, there is the entry:

        // get cached MSI path
        hr = CacheGetCompletedPath(pExecuteAction->msiPackage.pPackage->fPerMachine, pExecuteAction->msiPackage.pPackage->sczCacheId, &sczCachedDirectory);
        ExitOnFailure1(hr, "Failed to get cached path for package: %ls", pExecuteAction->msiPackage.pPackage->sczId);

        // Best effort to set the execute package cache folder variable.
        VariableSetString(pVariables, BURN_BUNDLE_EXECUTE_PACKAGE_CACHE_FOLDER, sczCachedDirectory, TRUE);

But I agree that when I add logging to ExecutePackageComplete the result of reading the Engine string variable is null.