[wix-users] How do you avoid regsvr32 with HeatDirectory?

Shintaro Takechi devst119 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:06:32 PDT 2016

Hi all

I have read enough times that regsvr32 is evil and I should use the heat to
gather ocx informations and generate ComponentGroup to install those ocx
files. So I did with following HeatDirectory code.

<HeatDirectory NoLogo="true" ToolPath="$(WixToolPath)" VerboseOutput="true"
GenerateGuidsNow="true" SuppressRootDirectory="true"
SuppressFragments="true" SuppressUniqueIds="true" Directory="$(Directory
where OCX files are stored)" ComponentGroupName="OCXComponentGroup"
DirectoryRefId="INSTALLLOCATION" PreprocessorVariable="var.OCXPath"
OutputFile="OCXComponentGroup.wxs" Condition=" '$(UpToDate)' != 'Equal' " />

However, when I test my code, the generated wxs seems to install some
components successfully, but not all of them. I know this because when I
search for the GUID on registry editor, I do find some things.

Running the regsvr32 solves this problem so I feel I must be missing
something here but I am having difficulty solving this issue.

Any help would be nice.

Thank you very much.