[wix-users] Components installed in dependent directories

Calin Iaru calin_iaru at live.com
Thu Jul 28 11:32:36 PDT 2016

Hi Jacob,

 It is not my choice. I think I will insert a CustomAction somewhere and modify the Directory Id.

 For reference, I use this excerpt:
<Feature Id=”ComponentAB”>
  <ComponentRef Id=”ComponentA”/>
  <ComponentRef Id=”ComponentB”/>
</Feature>

<Directory Id=”INSTALLDIR”>
  <Component Id=”ComponentA”>
  <File Name=”FileA”/>
  </Component>
  <Directory Id=”MagicID” Name=”[INSTALLDIRMAGIC]_demo”>
  <Component Id=”ComponentB”>
  <File Name=”FileB”/>
  </Component>
  </Directory>
</Directory>

So, ComponentB’s directory will be named from <ComponentA’s directory>_demo.

This CustomAction is a bit of a crack into the internals of the MSI. Let’s see how it turns out.

Regards,
  Calin