[wix-users] Saying hello - Archives?

Charles Gallo [9Dots Management] CGallo at ixdots.com
Fri Jul 15 11:01:47 PDT 2016

Thanks (Gad, I hate mailing lists on outlook - having to manual indent

>The old discontinued archive is still a good resource to search, here:

>http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/wix-users-f687560.html

>I would suggest a bundle (burn bootstrapper project) with chained msi(s) but I am sure there are other approaches to your scenario.  I would include the app >msi in the chain and let your bundle detect and select which dependency msi to install, with a single ARP entry for the bundle.

Actually because of the situation, I always need BOTH, at the end users are always bring in reports that have dependencies on 1.0 or 1.3

The USUAL situation is for me to have spreadsheets dependent on different versions of the DLL then the excel add-in does. (for instance, latest versions of the add-in is 1.3 (actually 8.3 in real life) but they often have older reports that depend on 1.0 (actually 8.0).  The goal, as we deliver new spreadsheets, and updates to the add-in, is to make sure BOTH are installed, as it has been causing problems for tech support since before I was with the company

So, the "real" product installs the excel add-in in the programs list, but what I need is an installer to send out to folks who have a damaged install that JUST does the 2 versions of the DLL

Charlie