[wix-users] Disable FilesInUse dialog and display custom dialogs instead

Matsumura Risa (AA-AS/EOS32) Risa.Matsumura at uk.bosch.com
Mon Jul 11 08:53:06 PDT 2016

Hi All,

For some reason, our installer fails every time it attempts to automatically close files. As a work around for that, we've decided to have a dialog at the start of installation to tell users to close a web browser in order to carry on using the installer and another dialog at the end of installation to informs users what to do to start using the software.

I'm not entirely sure how to skip the FilesInUse dialog and instead use a custom dialog. I don't know how to stop installer from detecting any files in use.

I've been trying to find some information and tried <Property Id="MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL" Value="Disable" /> but no luck.

Also at some point I came across MsiRMFilesInUse and didn't quite understand the difference with FilesInUse though perhaps MsiRMFilesInUse is not relevant to my problem.

Any comment appreciated.

Thank you,
Risa