[wix-users] when creating registry value, can I not log it to the MSI log file? [P]

John Cooper JoCooper at jackhenry.com
Fri Jul 8 07:08:17 PDT 2016

Unless it's encrypted in the registry, you're trading one security problem for another.  Actually, persistence in the bootstrapper application handles this better because "Hidden" variables are not just hidden from logging (a la MSI) but encrypted in storage.  Either that, or encrypt a section in a config file using one of several available APIs.

Bottom line, storage in the registry is going to be plain text whether the property is "Hidden" or not in the MSI.  That buys you a problem.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Enterprise Notification Service