[wix-users] Generating the .feed file for Update Notification...

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Jul 7 10:43:51 PDT 2016

The static site generator uses these as input: https://github.com/wixtoolset/web/tree/master/root/documents/releases/feeds

From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Anna Flyam | Landtech
Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:18 PM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Subject: [wix-users] Generating the .feed file for Update Notification...

My managed bootstrapper application is based on Wix toolset setup project (Model/UpdateViewModel/etc), and  I need to generate the .feed file during the build to enable the Update notification process.
I tested the DetectUpdateBegin/Complete events by pointing the Update  Location attribute for my Bundle to the [wixToolset feed URI] and it worked :) . There are many ways to generate the feed file, but I am curious to see how Wix toolset team did it.

I am not in the position right now to generate the feed on the server; it has to be done on the build system and uploaded to the server as a static feed file with the release (for now).
Jacob Hoover clarified the process for me.
As per Jacob, right now " each official build generates a file which gets published to the site, and then it's processed by https://github.com/wixtoolset/web/blob/master/root/layouts/appsyn.cshtml"
*Thank you, Jacob!* But I can't do it on the server...

As Rob Mensching pointed out in one of his older post (2013), "Wix toolset generates the feed file during the build and copies it to the location with the installation package",  but I need help to find 2 pieces of wx toolset software (maybe < v3.10) that 1. generates the release\[rel_id].html.md file 2. processes .html.md file and generates .feed file and uploads it to the web server

Thanks a lot.