[wix-users] Burn Packages MSI and Cab files

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Thu Jul 7 06:35:45 PDT 2016

> I have a product that has two different versions, one for 32-bit and
> one for 64-bit architectures. The two versions share some cab files. I
> wonder if I can make the two msi files for the two version without
> embedding the share cab files and have Burn bundled everything. This
> will reduce the size of the bundle at a great amount.

Yes, the following blog explains how to create a single wixproj, which when built twice will produce both x86 and x64 msi files.

http://alekdavis.blogspot.com/2011/05/build-32-and-64-bit-installers-using.html

I use the same cab file for each of my platform specific MSI files by authoring the MediaTemplate element.

    <MediaTemplate EmbedCab="no" CabinetTemplate="myap{0}.cab" />

In my case (for installing native drivers) all of the files (common, x86, and x64) are in a single cab and always placed at the target location (whether on x86 or x64, other wise the drivers code sign signature breaks if files are missing).  But I am sure that you could use preprocessor logic if you only wanted to build the 32 bit MSI to use the common and x86 cabs and the 64 nit MSI to use the common and x64 cabs.

Either in the MsiPackage or in your OnPlanBegin you can implement logic to assure that the correct MSI is installed.

I'm just simply packing the .cab files. I already have the two .msi files and a bunch of .cab files. Now I just need to bundle them together using burn.

Can you post your msi markup? I'm little confused about those cab files.
Are you simply packing some .cab files or generating these via <Media.. > element?