[wix-users] Support for multiple installed copies of Visual Studio

Sean McClellan smcclellan at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 14:25:24 PDT 2016

*	Which version of WiX are you building with?

3.8.1128.0

*	Which version of Visual Studio are you building with (if any)?

VS2012 UPD 4, VS2013 UPD5, VS2015 UPD2

*	Which version of .NET are you building with?

4.5

*	Describe the problem and the steps to reproduce it.

I have to support multiple projects built with different versions of Visual
Studio. As such, I have VS 2012, VS 2013, and VS 2015 installed on my
machine. I installed Wix Toolset from
http://wixtoolset.org/releases/v3.8/stable. It says it installed fine, and
status showed it 'registering' with the different versions of VS. However,
when I attempt to open a VS2012 solution with multiple wixproj projects in
VS2012, VS shows an error stating that Visual Studio does not have the
project type installed. Furthermore, I do not see any Wix project templates
when I go to create a new project. This is the same behavior on VS2013. I
know that 3.8 does not support VS2015, but I only need it to work on VS2012,
and the installer doesn't offer a choice of what versions to install on.
However, when I open VS Extensions and Updates, Wix Toolset does appear in
the list. Lastly, I do not control the project, so I cannot change the
version of Wix Toolset that is being used.

I have tried rebooting, installing Wix toolset as admin, all to no avail. I
did see a post on the http://wixtoolset.org/releases/v3.8/stable website
comments sounding like my issue:

The most basic thing required is for the Wix project templates to be
installed and it doesn't install correctly. I think this was because I also
had VS 2013 installed when the Wix installer was running. I ended up having
to use VS 2013 and couldn't use VS 2012.
by braindon <https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/braindon>  on Sep 1,
2014 at 5:18 PM

Thank you for noting the issue. Unfortunately, we don't track bugs or
feature requests here. Please go to http://wixtoolset.org/issues and file
your issue there. We'll see it there.
Reply by robmen <https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/robmen>
(Coordinator) on Sep 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

That is why I originally posted the question/issue to the issues forum. The
issue was closed and I was told to post to this mailing list.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Sean