[wix-users] MBA & .Net 4.5.2

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Jan 26 06:34:43 PST 2016

Most of the applications that I am deploying are still targeting .Net 4.0, but some target .Net 4.5.  I did not want to carry forward some .Net 4.0 framework bug workaround code in my WPF mba and I wanted to take advantage of .Net 4.5 features and  .Net 4.5.1 bug fixes in the mba.  I do the following in my web-deployable bundles:

The Bundle/@Chain has as the first item:
      <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx451Web" />

The bootstrapper .config file has:
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1" />
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />
    <!-- Release 9.1.0.x requires netfx skus v4.5, or later.  Prior skus will cause mbaprereq to be launched. -->
  </startup>
  <wix.bootstrapper>
      <host assemblyName="mbaUX" />
    <!-- This thread indicates that supportedFramework should not be included for NetFx45 or later
         http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32674239/specifying-burn-bootstrapper-prerequisites
         However, viewing registry of Win10 has Client and Full entries. -->
    <!--
        <supportedFramework version="v4\Client" />
        <supportedFramework version="v4\Full" />
      </host> -->
  </wix.bootstrapper>

The prereq installer only kicks in on systems that do not have Net 4.5 or later.  Most of the Win7/2008R2 or later systems already have 4.5.1 from Windows Update, but there may be some edge cases (on isolated networks) where the prereq phase happens first before my mba is launched.  This has been an acceptable approach for us.  As soon as I complete a release that is in its final stage, I plan to change the Bundle/@chain to use 4.5.2 and add supportedRuntime for sku 4.5.2.  I would like to see all of the apps upgraded as well but that is not likely to happen soon even though I also pointed out to the team that 4.0, 4.5, and 4.5.1 are now unsupported.  So there are different approaches depending on your business requirements.