[wix-users] WiX v3.10.2 Important Security Fix Release

Jeremy Drake jeremydrake+wix at eacceleration.com
Fri Jan 22 10:35:01 PST 2016

I don't like the sound of where this is going.  Consider if Microsoft puts
out a hotfix to fix this issue.  Due to the fact that MBA prereqs
are only processed if the .NET context fails to create, it would be
impossible to use burn to ensure that such a hotfix was installed prior to
attempting to show the managed BA UI (which would likely fail due to this
issue).

Also, even without this limitation, I have found that it is generally a
pain to try to have MS hotfixes as prereqs.  We tried to do something like
this with the hotfix to add sha-256 certificate support for drivers in
Win7, and hit upon the issues that a) it's not clear from the licensing if
you are allowed to redistribute a hotfix, and b) they seldom document a
registry value/file to detect if a given hotfix is installed anymore (it
seems like they want you to call out to CBS, which burn doesn't know how
to do, so we had to resort to comparing before/after registry states and
finding an undocumented CBS key to have burn detect off of).  In the end,
we reverted all of this mess and got an SHA-1 cert to do dual-signing
instead.