[wix-users] automated fileset using heat

Brannon King Brannon.King at asirobots.com
Thu Feb 11 08:44:41 PST 2016

We use Heat as part of our process. It works. There are a few things about it that I find quite bothersome. First is the requirement to use XSLT to remove certain files from it so that I can include those directly in my primary WXS file. The ability to mask files in or out would go a long way to improving that. Second, the thing is completely undiscoverable. You have to be explicitly instructed on how the thing works. It would be nice if it was smart enough to mark files with an assembly type, but it is not. It will generate huge files if you’re not careful; take a close look at what I marked as true and false:

    <HeatDirectory NoLogo="$(HarvestDirectoryNoLogo)" SuppressAllWarnings="$(HarvestDirectorySuppressAllWarnings)" SuppressSpecificWarnings="$(HarvestDirectorySuppressSpecificWarnings)" ToolPath="$(WixToolPath)" TreatWarningsAsErrors="$(HarvestDirectoryTreatWarningsAsErrors)" TreatSpecificWarningsAsErrors="$(HarvestDirectoryTreatSpecificWarningsAsErrors)" VerboseOutput="$(HarvestDirectoryVerboseOutput)" AutogenerateGuids="$(HarvestDirectoryAutogenerateGuids)" GenerateGuidsNow="$(HarvestDirectoryGenerateGuidsNow)" OutputFile="$(ProjectDir)GeneratedComponents.wxs" SuppressFragments="$(HarvestDirectorySuppressFragments)" SuppressUniqueIds="$(HarvestDirectorySuppressUniqueIds)" Transforms="Exclusions.xslt" Directory="$(SourceDir)" ComponentGroupName="AsiWix_Generated" DirectoryRefId="INSTALLDIR" PreprocessorVariable="var.AsiWixSourceDir" KeepEmptyDirectories="false" SuppressCom="true" SuppressRootDirectory="true" SuppressRegistry="true"/>