[wix-users] system service does not uninstall

Brannon King Brannon.King at asirobots.com
Tue Feb 2 22:11:01 PST 2016

Since I could not get my deferred custom action to execute in time to remove my service before removing files, I attempted to use the builtin ServiceInstall/Control stuff. It installs and starts my service just fine. However, it does not do the inverse on uninstall (even if I manually stop the service before running the uninstaller). It leaves the service running, fails to remove all files, successfully removes itself from add/remove programs, and then tells me it successfully uninstalled. My only recourse then is to change the Product ID and try again (I’m not aware of any recovery for 723 of these: “Disallowing uninstallation of component: {B7184A6D-F04E-5138-B489-ADB28B3737C4} since another client exists”). Am I missing something? Do I need something in my InstallExecuteSequence? (It currently just contains two unrelated custom actions and WriteIniValues.) If you set InstallExecuteSequence at all, do you have to fill in all entries for it? I figured StopServices would get added automatically.

<ServiceInstall Id="MobiusServerInstall" Interactive="no" Vital="yes"
                                                Type="ownProcess" Name="MobiusServer" DisplayName="Mobius Server"
                                                Start="auto" ErrorControl="normal">

                <util:ServiceConfig
                  FirstFailureActionType='restart'
                  SecondFailureActionType='restart'
                  ThirdFailureActionType='restart'
                  RestartServiceDelayInSeconds='0'
                  ResetPeriodInDays='1'/>

</ServiceInstall>
<ServiceControl Id="MobiusServerControl" Stop="both" Remove="uninstall" Name="MobiusServer"
                                                Wait="yes" Start="install"/>

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the recipient. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.