[wix-users] SQLDatabase: CreateDatabase fails after disabling TLS 1.0

Skildum, Mat Mathew.Skildum at Aspect.com
Tue Dec 6 05:18:08 PST 2016

Check the version of SQL Server you are connecting too.  Only SQL 2016 supports TLS 1.1 and 1.2 out of the box, for the others you must install the latest update packages to get this support.  You may also need to update some of the SQL tools on the system where the install is running depending on how you are connecting to SQL server as changes were made to ODBC as well.

Mat Skildum

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of sudriptan at sarangsoft.co.in
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:45 AM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Subject: [wix-users] SQLDatabase: CreateDatabase fails after disabling TLS 1.0

Hello,
    Our setup program was running successfully until we disabled TLS 1.0 keeping TLS 1.1 and 1.2 enabled in our system due to security reasons. We are using the WIX element 'SQLDatabase' for creating our database and it seems that it has started failing after the change. Here is the error log that was generated:

CreateDatabase: Error 0x80004005: failed to check if database exists: 'MyDatabase', error: unknown error Error 26201. Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database: MyDatabase, error detail: unknown error.
MSI (s) (AC!80) [06:27:39:850]: Product: MySetup -- Error 26201. Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database: MyDatabase, error detail: unknown error.
CustomAction CreateDatabase returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Any ideas on how to workaround this problem. We need to use only TLS 1.1 or 1.2 in our system due to security restrictions.

I hope someone has a solution to it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks.
With Regards,
Sudripta.