[wix-users] Debugging managed BA

Goran Malovic malovicg at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 09:07:26 PST 2016

Hi,
I have a problem with debugging managed BA. It used to work without problems, but i haven't been using it for the last year, and don't know when it was broken.
So, I have been using suggestion from Rob on SO, and that stopped working. I have ensured that all is built, I run the app, I place breakpoint on BootstrapperApplication.Run() method (and on lots of other different places), but it is not hit. However, the placed breakpoint itself is red, so it is givining an impression that it is "active and loaded". After the F5 Setup.exe is started and shown on screen, which is correct, but I cannot step through the managed BA code.
My BA is built on .NET framework 3.5 Client Profile. I am using VS 2015, and Wix 3.10.3 Here is BootstrapperCore.config:
  <configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="wix.bootstrapper" type="Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.BootstrapperSectionGroup, BootstrapperCore">
      <section name="host" type="Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.HostSection, BootstrapperCore" />
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />
  </startup>
  <wix.bootstrapper>
    <host assemblyName="Project.Bootstrapper.UI">
      <supportedFramework version="v3.5" />
      <supportedFramework version="v4\Client" />
      <supportedFramework version="v4\Full" />
    </host>
  </wix.bootstrapper>
</configuration>
Any ideas?